The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) have directed their state councils and industrial unions nationwide, to commence a national wide strike on Thursday. This is due to Federal Government’s failure to meet its demand on new minimum wage.
The unions had earlier given government a 14-day ultimatum to reconvene the tripartite committee, which was set up by President Muhammad Buhari in November last year, to arrive at a new minimum wage which it promised to announce and implement by the end of September 2018. Only for Dr. Chris Ngige, the Minister of Labour and Employment, to announce that the new minimum wage was no longer feasible this September.
General Secretary of NLC, Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, disclosed to newsmen, in a statement made available yesterday in Abuja, that unless government meets its demands, all workers are set to sit at home across the country.
In a letter addressed to all industrial unions and NLC State Councils, he said:
“This is to inform you that the organised labour shall commence nationwide warning strike in respect of the non-implementation of the National Minimum Wage, effective from Midnight of Wednesday, September 26.
“All industrial unions and all State Councils are to commence mobilisation immediately for an effective strike action, nationwide.”
Also, the TUC has emphasized that organised labour would begin strike from early hours of Thursday, September 27.
A statement signed by Mr. Musa-Lawal Ozigi, TUC, Secretary General in Abuja stated that the decision to commence on strike was sequel to the resolve of the Central Working Committee (CWC) of TUC on September 24.
Ozigi said that following the mandate of the CWC, TUC leadership would take all necessary action to effect the ultimatum on the new minimum wage in collaboration with other stakeholders.
“Strike is hereby declared to commence from early hours of Thursday, September 27, 2018,” the Secretary General said.